Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Homemade Baby Food, Who does that anymore?

While you may think Homemade baby food is a thing of the past, you would be shocked by how many moms go that extra mile to make it healthier for their babies.
When I was pregnant with the twins, I decided to rethink everything I had done with their older brother, lil J. Things like shots and baby food were at the top of my list. For Jason, the WIC program here in Ohio had just started offering baby food on the checks,,, of course they had their limits and rules. Nothing with extra additives in it, no tuti fruity etc. I was fine with that, but it was such a hassle to bring up a cart full of baby food, make sure you had all the checks in order with what baby food went with what, and then when the cashier got picky on what you got,,, oh wow. It was an ordeal, but I was willing to push through for free food. Now, they started giving you fruit and veggies on your checks, so I thought, hey! I'll just use these to buy the needed items and then make my own baby food.
 Have you read a baby food jar label recently? Honestly, we wonder why babies have so many allergies when they first start eating, check out the baby food ingredients and tell me why some of that stuff is in there?
Ok, sorry, off the subject :) I found an awesome ice cube- like tray that freezes your baby food in 1oz cubes which can in turn be stored in extra breast milk storage bags, to make it easier to take places.(I use an insulated bottle bag with two ice packs, put in my storage bag of food and I'm good to go) Now you may not be wanting THAT much baby food, but let me tell you, hungry twins who love to eat, is a whole other matter! One batch (filling up both trays) lasts for maybe a week, if that.
A common question is: What foods should I start with? What if my baby doesnt like it?
The answer I'v always heard is start with the veggies first then do fruit. If you start with fruit, you baby will be introduced to all the sweet stuff first and be turned off by the veggies, but if you do veggies first, he'll be thrilled with both. If your baby doesnt seem to like a food, just remember, it takes about 3 time of having something before they get used to it.
Here are some of the veggies and fruits I'v already introduced to my boys( they were 4 months when I started)(Remember to try ONE thing at a time for at least 3 days to make sure there are no allergies)
First I started off with Barley cereal, then added different fruits and veggies TO it, and then in another bowl.
green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, prunes, blueberries, avocado, bananas, peas, carrots, peaches, sweet potatoes, oatmeal cereal.
 All you have to do is either buy fresh or frozen,,, put them in a pan with about a cup of water, simmer until soft. Puree in either a food processor or blender til the consistency is to your liking (adding water to thin it out a bit) Baby food will last for 3 days in the fridge or 6 months in the freezer! AND it is definitely cost efficient and fun to make, I love it. One of the best things is you can try just about anything in your produce section as opposed  to having a limited selection of already made stuff :)
Ok, and I just have to say, there is a great family on youtube.com Here who have made some great video tutorials if you are not sure how to get started.
What kinds of food did you try for your baby's first food? I'd love to hear your comments!
                                                                                                                                                                                  
Caleb enjoying his first taste of avocados! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts and comments!